Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Another sonnet

For the past few weeks, I've been really into sonnet form - both reading and writing. I'll post some of my favorites soon, but here's one that I wrote recently:

**********

Streets
--------
I walked an unlit street that had no fences
but carefully stayed inside the concrete curb.
Although the silence never was disturbed,
it seemed unsafe to lower one's defenses.
And, having none for me to beg or borrow,
the stars each kept their light to just themselves.
The bells by the town square were chiming twelve;
I chose to tactfully contain my sorrows.
I asked my brother, and we changed our route.
The wind caught, and tossed, and lost a feather
wild and free, into that vapid darkness;
ominous, virulent, the night now starless:
we unraveled our thoughts together
cloistered on a balcony, looking out.


Also, watch this.